- Nerida Matthews
The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) seeks to commission a suitably qualified and experienced organisation to develop and/or produce the Sports of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games resource as part of the Curriculum Resources Project for the Commonwealth Games School Education Program.
The Contractor will develop and/or produce a component of the Classroom Resources Project, namely the Sports of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games resource.
The classroom resources project represents the largest component of the Games Education Program and is divided into five sections.
1. Sports of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games
2. Integrated units for years P-10
3. Rich learning units focussing on the middle-years
4. Resources for post-compulsory education
5. Games Passport Program.
The classroom resources project will help generate excitement in the education community for the event, and provide students with a deeper appreciation of other cultures and a better understanding of the Commonwealth and Commonwealth Games. The material will promote healthy eating and environmentally sustainable behaviours.
The classroom resources project will consist of a set of resources reflecting key Commonwealth Games and Commonwealth of Nations themes. The materials will reflect the policies of the Victorian Government both in its Commonwealth Games and Education portfolios.
The resources will be interesting and innovative, attractive to both teachers and students. The material will easily integrate into a broad range of classroom situations, be applicable to wide variety of learning styles and adaptable to be used over short or long periods of time. The materials should connect with opportunities students will have to participate in official Games activities and community projects.
The objectives of the Classroom Resources Project are:
• To provide students with greater knowledge of the Commonwealth and the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne
• To use the materials and the Games to raise greater awareness of health and healthy lifestyle among school students
• To enhance student awareness of other countries and cultures within the Commonwealth
• To promote greater understanding of the hosting of major events and build on the ideals underlying Melbourne's hosting of the Games –eg environmental friendliness; celebration of diversity; encouraging participation.
• To provide teachers with easily accessible curriculum materials that can be easily integrated into the classroom
• To design materials that fit with the opportunities that there are for schools in community events, Games activities and linkages developed with other Commonwealth countries
Location: Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority First Floor Reception 41 St Andrews Place East Melbourne Vic 3002